Monday, June 6, 2011

Gardening via recycling

I have been busy creating temporary gardens via recycling used tires!   We had planned to drop the abandoned ones that we collected from the field and trails off at the local tire shop for their recycling route, until I asked Bob to round a few up for me to use.   I dug topsoil from our storage piles, mixed it with bagged peat moss and potting soil, then used it to fill the tires and some pots for flowers and herbs (sage, peppermint, dill, lavender, basil and cilantro).  
I also mulched the soil around the plants in the tires and pots for two reasons: to conserve moisture and to discourage Harley the Wonder Dog from seeing these containers as a place to bury his toys and treasures. Harley is pictured observing the pots with distain, he does not seem to like the flower scents as well as that of dead fish and other dog favorites.